K–NFB Reading Technology, Inc. is pleased to announce the latest breakthrough in
print accessibility. We have developed software which places the functionality
of a reading machine into a multifunction cell phone. The Mobile Reader products
can be activated and ready to use with the touch of a single button on the
phone. The user takes a photo of the print to be read and the character
recognition software in conjunction with high quality text-to-speech will read
the contents of the document aloud. At the same time, it can display the print
on the phone’s built-in screen and highlight each word as it is spoken.
The Mobile Reader Product Line:
- Reads most printed documents, from letters and memos to pages in a book
- Reads address labels and package information and instructions
- Easily recognizes U.S. currency
- Displays each sentence visually and highlights each word as it is read
- Stores thousands of pages using easily obtainable flash memory
- Transfers text files to and from computers or Braille note takers
- Adjusts reading speed to suit user’s preference.
In addition, with the use of a screen reader, the user can access the other
functions of the phone device including making and receiving phone calls,
personal information management such as contacts, calendar, etc. Also contains
ability to run accessible GPS programs, access to Adobe PDF files, voice
recorder, music player and much more.
- Operating system - Symbian S60, 3rd Ed, FP1
- Supported phone models - Nokia N82
- Supported languages - US English or UK English
- On phone free flash storage - 50 Mb required
- Flash card storage - up to 500 images per GB
- Memory - 40 Mb free RAM required
- Camera - 5 megapixel, autofocus with xenon flash required
- Training page
- Polarizers for camera and flash
- Includes printed and on-device help files. Braille available by request.
- One year from date of software activation.
Accessories available for the N82
- Accessibility software (Talks or MobileSpeak)
- GPS Software
- Phone cases
- Reading modes for books, articles and labels; bills and memos.
- US printed currency recognition (knfbReader only)
- Synchronized text highlighting with output speech
- Text navigation by sentence, word, character.
- User self-training page for taking pictures
- Viewfinder for live field of view
- Field of view analysis (knfbReader only)
- Import/export TXT files
- Automatic or manual saving of documents and image files
- Automatic screen rotation for portrait and landscape reading
- Save settings to and from memory card
Requires that the phone carrier supports unlocked GSM phones (in the US -
ATT and T-Mobile).